Thursday, October 7, 2010

Response to David Su's Post About Stage Fright

This is a response post to something that David Su typed up. I decided to respond to this because it is something that I have a problem with as a student, when I read his blog post I can see myself. 
Before and during a speech or a conference, I become extremely nervous and feel the need rush. I want to get the speech or my part of the conversation over with. When this happens, it tends to imply that I will shake my legs or stutter. If I am holding a paper while I talk, many people see that I am shaking the paper intensely. When I am nervous, I also forget my train of thought. That's why when I try to say something, I usually end up saying never mind or that I will go a little bit off topic.
That was a paragraph form David's blog that stood out for me. I have the exact same problem, every time I am told to step in front of the classroom my heart immediately sinks in. I can feel my heart pumping loudly at a fast speed, and by the time I make it to the front of the class I feel my head throbbing and dizzy. The sensation is very intimidating, there is absolutely no sounds to be heard except for your voice. The thing I don't like about talking in front of the class is that I suddenly become the center of attention, everybody is listening to my words and if I accidentally say the wrong thing I get that feeling that everyone is silently laughing their asses off inside. I get a mild stomach ache and feel the need to punch somebody in the face and leave the room. All these feelings I get just from talking in front of a large group of people, however, I find talking in a small group of people a whole lot easier, even if I'm talking with total strangers. I don't really like talking in front of a lot of people, I want to get it over with quickly, but at the same time I don't. I know I have to work on my public speaking, that's why every time I have to read or present something, I see it as a chance to accomplish something good.

No comments:

Post a Comment