Thursday, August 19, 2010

Response to "Odd Girl Out" by Rachel Simmons


             There was many times in which I was bullied by a larger group. I reacted to most of the bullies the same way, depending on what they did. If they just talked about me I would lose respect for them, and hate them from then on. If they actually hit me intentionally I would most likely defend myself by hitting back. Most of the times when I was harassed by other people happened when I was in 7th grade; there were three guys who used to insult me every other day. I was getting sick of being called a fag, but I knew telling someone about that wouldn’t change anything. I remember being bullied in the past, when I tried telling a teacher about it they wouldn’t really care or they would just have a long conversation with the bully, but no consequences. I noticed that it was because the teachers didn’t have any proof, and each student would tell their own story. So then there was this time in 7th grade where one of the bullies came up to me in math class and swung at me in the back of the head with a binder. Immediately I stood up and punched the guy in the cheek. That obviously pissed him off, so we swung at each other until the teacher saw and sent us to the principal’s office. It was so worth it because even though we both got suspended for a day, he and the other guys left me alone. That’s why whenever you’re being bullied; you should let the bully aggravate you enough for you to physically attack him or her in school. That way an adult will notice that you were being picked on, and it reached past your limit.
            I just never understand why people have to bring others down. Maybe they just think their better than everyone else. It could be that they just get bored and can’t find anything better to do, and so they cause trouble by giving a person hard time. I believe that parents have a lot to do with their children becoming bullies, maybe they’re not around as much, or don’t care what their child does. Another reason for people harassing others could be because they have bad experiences at home, and they feel like they need to take it out on others. Those are some ideas, but what is the true explanation for students having to be afraid of school?  

No comments:

Post a Comment